[TowerTalk] Yagi alignment

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Yagi alignment
From: atpaper@hutton.net (Sergio Depres)
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 17:52:35 -0500
Hello, everybody, I'm glad of finding this list. Here it is my problem:

We are installing an outdoor wireless datalink (2 miles), we have
confirmation that our 2 antennas have different heights.

Building1: Height of the building - 48 feet. Mast -> 18 feet Total -> 66
feet
Building2: Height of the building - 39 feet. Mast -> 27 feet Total -> 66
feet

The thing is that the First building's roof is almost at the same level
that the roof in the building two, so in fact our antennas have a
vertical disalignment of about
9 feet.

We are using right now vertical polarization, and our performance is
very poor.

Question1: For the 2.4GHz band, using vertical polarization, 7-10
elements Yagi antenna, what could be the allowed disaligment on the
vertical axis?

Question2: We have seen a couple of high voltage cables that are inside
the propagation path, what could be the best polarization for avoiding
them.

Question3. Does anybody know if there is any site license required for
outdoor applications of 2.4GHz wireless datalinks?

Here is more data if somebody needs them to understand better what I'm
saying.

Distance between linked offices: 2 miles.

Antenna: 2.4GHz Yagi Antenna manufactured by TTI Wireless.
As far as I remember there are about 7 to 10 elements.

RF specs:
Modulation: Spread Spectrum- DQPSK
Output Power:14dBm
Receiver sensitivity:-80dBm