[TowerTalk] Turnbuckle Mounting

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Turnbuckle Mounting
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 14:13:52 EST
In a message dated 98-03-13 13:19:53 EST, shane@eatel.net writes:

<< If you can weld a plate or something to the post and you havn't purchased
 your turnbuckles yet you can get the type with the shackle on one end instead
 of an eye or hook.  I purchased a set of these for my future installation.
 About the same price as turnbuckles with eyes or hooks.

     DO NOT use turnbuckles with hooks. They can only be used with very low
load applications (like rope guying of your H70 mast).

     Turnbuckle ends are either hooks (obvious), eyes (welded or cast solid
eyes, don't use bent eyes) or jaws (these are like a shackle/clevis).

 >The only idea I've been able to come up with is to attach a screw eye bolt
 >through the post and make a loop of strong, stiff cable about a foot or so
 >in diameter.  I would 'string' the turnbuckles on the loop with a one or two
 >inch bushing between each one to provide some fixed spacing.
 >
 >Have others made this sort of thing without cutting and welding?  I don't
 >want to pay for 6 of the Rohn 'tension equalizers' unless they perform some
 >function I can't get from a less rigid rig. > >>

       Your wire loop is fine for your mast guying. The forces are small
enough that the loop won't pull through the cable clamps.

      The aforementioned equalizer plates are for tower guy applications and
are way overkill for your masts. OTOH you can fabricate your own from some
aluminum plate. Drill out a hole for the anchor end and enough holes on the
other end for your turnbuckles. It's easy to drill so should be a piece of
cake.

73 and GL,  Steve  K7LXC