[TowerTalk] Ice on guy wires

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ice on guy wires
From: Pat Barthelow <aa6eg@cv.tmx.com> (Pat Barthelow)
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 10:49:17 -0800 (PST)
We at N6IJ, the former Army Mars Station at Ft. Ord inherited, concrete
piers, 2.7 x 2.7 x 5 feet deep.   They have clean, level,  smooth tops,
and we
want to investigate  using them for bases for Rohn  25 towers. It appears
that they were to be part of a very large Satellite dish system, and were
apparently abandoned when the base closure became reality.

Question is:
 what is out there in the way of mounting hardware to secure
the
Rohn tilting base plate  to the concrete pier, considering we would have
to drill holes in the concrete, and secure anchor bolts to it.   I am
making a possibly dangerous assumption that there is rebar in the
the piers.
Should I confirm this, possibly with a metal detector waved over and
around the piers?

73, DX de Pat, AA6EG/N6IJ
N6IJ: "The Contest Station from the Government"