[TowerTalk] 40-2CD Brace ... Other Ideas ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 40-2CD Brace ... Other Ideas ?
From: geoiii@bga.com (george fremin iii)
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 15:04:52 -0600 (CST)
>W6NL (x-W6QHS)and also N4KG have written various texts on improving
>the 40-2CD's wind survival rate. W9RE offers a "kit" with the parts. A
>better
>route to take would be one of those methods if you really want to solve the
>boom support problem and improve the 40-2CD's possible few weak spots.

What I have done or helped do several times is to make
the boom stronger. I have found that the boom support is
not needed on the 40-2cd if you make the boom a bit
thicker.  At 6D2X we have a 40-2cd up with the 100+
elements and we put several thicknesses of tubing
in the boom.  It has been at the top of a mast for almost
a year now and the boom and elements have less bend in them
than a stock new antenna.

The 40-2cd boom is not that long, and the elements are not that
heavy - unless you do the QHS 100+ mph mods.

--

George Fremin III          "I'm talkin' 'bout that outlaw X
Austin, Texas                It's cuttin' through the air.... "