[TowerTalk] Ratio of mast inside tower vs outside tower?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ratio of mast inside tower vs outside tower?
From: Robert.Turner@ibx.com (Turner, Bob)
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 18:18:04 -0500
You may remember me with the 'painting a mast' question.  The general
consensus seems to be painting is for cosmetic reasons not structural.
I am leaning towards using the cold galvanizing spray.

Now a new question.

I needed 19 feet of 2'od 4130 mast for my design.  However, a 24' length
was delivered.  To cut or not to cut, that is the question.

Are their any guidelines as to what the minimum percentage of the mast
that should be in the tower?  I'm concerned that if I use the whole 24',
with 4.5 feet inside and 19.5 feet outside,  that I will over stress the
tower and rotor.  The tower is the 9' Create Roof tower.  Rotor is Yaesu
G-800SDX.

If I stick to my original plan I will have 4.5 feet of mast inside the
tower with 14.5 outside the tower.

Comments?

7 3

Bob - N2SCJ