[TowerTalk] True North vs. Magnetic

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] True North vs. Magnetic
From: wa6ibu@earthlink.net (Paul Booth)
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 20:32:54 -0800
Paul Booth wrote:

> Perhaps this is the wrong place for this question, but I'm about to put
> up my first Tribander.  I understand that there is a difference between
> magnetic north and true north.  Can anyone tell me how much (and
> direction) of correction I should adjust to from magnetic north?  I live
> in the San Francisco Bay area.  Thanks.
>
> 73s de WA6IBU, Paul
>
> --
> Search:                   http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search
Thanks to everyone for all of the helpful feedback.  Being new to this
reflector I was unaware that this has been discussed extensively in the
past.  You all probably realize that I was never a Boy Scout!  In
addition to the Boy Scout Handbook and numerous other sources of
information such as airports and civil engineering groups, the basic
variation I received feedback on is:

1)  True North for the SF Bay area ranges from 13 to 17 degrees West of
Magnetic North.  Close enough.
2)  The boom can be lined up on the North Star (have to think about this
one).
3)  Most Yagis (especially mine) will not care that much anyhow.

Thanks again everyone.

73s de WA6IBU, Paul