[TowerTalk] Re: Long mast, intermediate bearing

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Long mast, intermediate bearing
From: (K7LXC)
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 10:44:17 EST

>  I don't think you want to hook your tram line to the mast unless it's
>       a real small beam on a short tower.  There is a LOT of tension on that
>       line. Hook it to a tower leg at the top of the tower.  If the tower is
>       guyed, remove one guy (loosen the other 2 a bit) and let the tram line
>       (I used 3/16 EHS for a tram line) be a temp guy.  When you get the ant
>       up there, hang it from the tower, relocate the tram, move the pully up
>       on the mast and then pull the ant UP.  If you do tram on the mast,
>       consider a couple back guys on it.

      While I sometimes use the 2-step method described above, you can use a
proper mast to anchor the top of the tram line. With back-guying there's
little or no pull on the mast and you can go as big as you want. I've trammed
up full-sized HD 40M beams (250-300#) directly from the mast. It WAS a 4130
mast with 3/8" wall so it was industrial strength and it was back-guyed.

Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC