Re. [TowerTalk] Lubricating US Towers cables and pulleys

To: <>
Subject: Re. [TowerTalk] Lubricating US Towers cables and pulleys
From: (K7LXC)
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 20:03:16 EST

<< I'm not arguing the merits (or lack thereof) of the manufacturers'
 recommendations, I'm just curious -- are these the exceptions that prove the
 rule? >>

Hi, Dick --

      In the case of the crank-up cable, I went by the CABLE manufacturer and
not US Tower. I would believe them over what US Tower says. Now it seems that
Bruce does recommend lubing the cable and pulleys which is still a good idea.

     I don't know that Rohn recommends a pier pin installation carte blanche.
Why would they make a short-base if it wasn't intended to be buried in
concrete? For ham installations and loads using a buried base section is well
within the design parameters of the towers. For bigger towers and bigger loads
(and I'm talking BIGGER) then using a pier pin is recommended. And should be
due to the high torque forces.

     Once in awhile I will actually 'approve' a non-manufacturer way of doing
something but there's always a good reason.

     Keeping an eye on me, eh?

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC