[TowerTalk] Re: Long mast, intermediate bearing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Long mast, intermediate bearing
From: kb3aug@juno.com (Bill Hinkle)
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 1998 21:51:25 -0500
I guess I'll have to add my two cents on this. I fabricated a tram that
is 7 feet wide and will attach to the top of a 25 or 45 Rohn. It has
three points to hook the tram lines to and a roller for the pull line to
go over. I never got to use it, but it should work like a champ. It sure
would beat all three lines coming to a point at the top of the tower. I
got the idea for this the last time we put up a tribander and it wanted
to roll over when it got about 2/3rd's of the way up. If you have a flat
top tower it shouldn't be to much trouble to get it on the mast as long
as there is not to much of it above the top of the tower, hook the
antenna to the ginpole and let the ground crew take the load. Once it's
on the mast (loose) hoist the mast up install the rotor, you know the
rest.
I also fabricated a bracket to hold the mast while you R and R the rotor.
I made it out of a short piece of pipe that the mast will go through and
drilled three holes spaced at 120 degrees and welded three nuts to it to
put bolts in to lock the mast in place. It in turn has an angle welded to
the pipe to attach it to two legs of the tower. It has to be installed
before you hoist the mast up to the top.

Hope this will be of some help to someone.

          73, Bill KB3AUG

                 Riverton, WV