[TowerTalk] TV Towers - OK for small VHF antenna(e)

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TV Towers - OK for small VHF antenna(e)
From: (K7LXC)
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 1998 23:25:05 EST

>  I was teaching the basic amateur course earlier
>  today and one of the topics was selecting your first
>  tower - for those starting off in vhf.  I said that
>  a tv tower is not enough tower for a ten or thirteen
>  element array and went on to say that a HAM-type
>  tower (Rohn or US Tower) is a must.  Am I all wet or
>  is a tv tower inadequate even for a small antenna
>  like the Cushcraft Ringo Ranger series of antennae?
     While TV towers have their limitations, you can put a TV antenna on them
safely. I'd say that an 11 element 2M beam is about the size of a TV antenna
so I don't see any problem. They'll take a limited amount of square feet but
that's about it. If carefully installed, they'll even accomodate a small

Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC