[TowerTalk] Low Visibility Installation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Low Visibility Installation
From: Dick Green" <dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 01:18:33 -0400
Kyle,

The standard MA550 comes complete with a house bracket, but is still only
rated for 10 sq. ft. @50 MPH, and you are right about the derating to 2.7
sq. ft. @70MPH. I'm not a PE, but I doubt that adding another bracket at the
20-foot level would increase the overall tower windload rating. While it
might make a failure at the concrete base or along the lowest section less
likely, it will not do anything to keep the two upper sections from
buckling. True, there's less bending force against those sections, but
they're still subject to failure.

I use an MA770MDP with a TH7. That's 9.5 sq. ft. wind load. Like the MA-770,
the freestanding MA770MDP is only rated for 10 sq. ft. at 50 MPH and derates
in a similar fashion at higher wind speeds. What do I do? I keep the tower
cranked down to about 50 ft. (where the TH7 works fine) unless I'm chasing a
rare one or contesting. I never leave the tower full up unattended or when
the wind gets above 20 MPH. If I'm away overnight, or if the wind gets much
past 25 MPH, I lower the tower all the way (full down, it would take a
hurricane to knock it over.)

I believe the Tri-Ex 70' SkyNeedle is rated considerably higher than the
U.S. Tower, but it's on the order of $10,000.

With a $2,000 budget, you can buy an MA550, bracket it to the house, and
keep it cranked down in high winds or when not in use. However, you will
quickly find that hand-cranking that tower frequently is a huge chore and
hard on the arm. If you can spring for more money, get the motorized
version.

73, Dick, WC1M