[TowerTalk] Re: The LXC Prime Directive

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: The LXC Prime Directive
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths)
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 00:53:50 -0700 (PDT)
>>     It's your installation and you're violating the LXC Prime Directive
>(DO
>>what the manufacturer says)
>
>I don't want to pick on you Steve (I love your products and you're my
>favorite tower installer on the other coast :-), but I've seen two instances
>lately in which you've made recommendations contrary to the manufacturer's:
>1) Lubricating cables and pulleys on U.S. Tower crankups, and 2) using an
>embedded base section on towers for which Rohn recommends using a base pin.
>
>I'm not arguing the merits (or lack thereof) of the manufacturers'
>recommendations, I'm just curious -- are these the exceptions that prove the
>rule?
>
>73, Dick, WC1M

Hi Dick,

I'm not trying to critcize your critism either, but I am not sure I am
seeing all you are seeing in the Rohn book.  Regarding the use of pier pins
vs imbedding section in concrete, I see, specifically, that pier pins are
not to be used with free standing towers (for obvious reasons) and not with
bracketed towers (for not quite so obvious reasons.)  The point is that Rohn
makes a specific mention of that in their small blue brochure.

I also see the base plates and pier pins called out in the parts list in
their catalog for guyed 25, 45, and 55 towers but nothing is said, pro or
con, as far as I can see, about imbedding the base in concrete.  We know
there are hundreds of acceptable configurations not specified in the Rohn
book.  I would expect Rohn to say something about not using an embedded base
with a guyed tower if it were not recommended.  Maybe they do say that and I
missed it.

Just trying to learn something new . . .

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com