[TowerTalk] VERY IMPRESSIVE

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] VERY IMPRESSIVE
From: tao@skypoint.com (Tod Olson)
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 09:05:59 -0600
If the conversation on the "air" is not what it is on "wire" I suspect we
have only ourselves (and technology and propagation) to blame. We still have
licenses and we have the same amount of time available to get on the air as
we have to turn on the computer and read and type.

I think, however, that if we were limited to "on the air" communication, the
VHF/UHF information flow would be severely limited in many geographic areas.
I in Idaho Falls, ID at the moment. I don't expect to get VHF propagation
here on a regular basis that would allow me to exchange information with
Steve, K7LXC, or others somewhere in the Northwestern US, much less the
Midwest or the Eastern US. In a couple of weeks, when I return to Minnesota,
I will enter a different propagation "domain" and leave the one I am in.
That in turn would limit my sources of "on the air" information.

This reflector and others like it permit persons who otherwise would never
have an opportunity to hear  (read) about certain matters to do so.

In reality, I find that I am not surprised that we have so many experienced
, informed and knowledgeable people on the reflector. It is the place where
ideas can be floated and discussed (sometimes ad naseum) in a larger
intellectual environment than may be available to many of us. The
augmentation of "on the air" activity and "building" activity with
information flow from the reflectors is enhancing the part of amateur radio
that Bob Perring and Lee Buller have said they like.

On the other hand, I think the reflectors have much less to offer to the
social and local aspects of amateur radio. However, I subscribe to only one
or two reflectors and my data is truly sparse.

Tod Olson, K0TO/7