[TowerTalk] Silicon vs. Liquid Tape

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Silicon vs. Liquid Tape
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 11:14:50 EDT
In a message dated 98-04-05 18:28:29 EDT, n9yxa@ix22.ix.netcom.com writes:

> I recently bought two "sealants" for my antenna installation. One of
>  these is the DAP aim and shoot silicon sealant stuff (no caulk gun
>  needed). The question is: can I use this stuff on my Butternut
>  antenna for sealing, and is it easy to get off ?

     I think what you're describing is run-of-the-mill RTV (room temperature
vulcanizing). DO NOT put it on electrical connections. It outgasses a solvent
that will get into the connection where it will do more harm than good.

>  From previous experience, the Liquid Electrical Tape can be easily
>  removed, but is it OK for use on antenna setups?

      Yes. It's designed to be applied directly to outdoor connections such as
terminal strips, antenna connections, etc. It doesn't create the problems that
RTV does.

     The bigger question is: what does the manufacturer say? Do they say to
put RTV on it? Do they say ANYTHING about it? I would certainly recommend use
of an antioxidant nevertheless on all electrical connections and if you want
to protect it with a suitable material, it sounds like an okay idea.

Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC