[TowerTalk] Fwd: Yet another tower question

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Yet another tower question
From: (K7LXC)
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 13:47:23 EDT

From: "Tod Olson" <>
To: "K7LXC" <>
Subject: Re: Yet another tower question
To: <>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 09:56:23 -0600

I should very much like to hear your suggestions. Here are the design
objectives as currently perceived:

1. Must be able to support a KLM-34XA  OR  4 element Quad with interlaced=
Meter beam elements (2 shortened elements) (about 18 square feet) on a 32
foot boom under the local (Idaho Falls, ID) expected wind conditions. Sho=
be able to add a minimum of a small 2m/70 cm vertical above the main HF
antenna. Desirable to permit side mounted VHF antennas at lower heights, =
NOT a requirement.

2. Height of HF antenna above ground level should be a minimum of 60 feet=
. A
height of 80 feet (+/- 8)  feet is desirable.

3. Self supporting is desirable, but if (1) and (2)  above cannot be
achieved within reasonable economics then a guyed alternative would be

4. Foldover, telescoping or "Hazer-like" access to the antennas is desire=
by my XYL. (Or so she says). I consider it attractive, but not an absolut=
requirement (yet).

5. Tower should be such that only modest (whatever that means) annual
maintenance is required. This does NOT include antenna, feedline and cont=
cable maintenance.

I have placed  no financial constraints on any solution so that I can loo=
at any alternative that I or others can imagine. However, I am reluctant =
invest more in towers and antennas than I have invested in real estate.

Local (Bonneville County) ordinances do not require building permits or
tower permits for antennas less than 200 feet in height. (When I asked ab=
this the asked me why I was bothering them with such trivia, my kind of

Tod Olson, K0TO/7
for mail that will arrive BEFORE April 14 use:

3715 South 5th West
Idaho Falls, ID 83404

for mail that will arrive LATER than April 14 use:

292 Heather Lane
Long Lake, MN 55356