[TowerTalk] Re: [Tower base maintenance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: [Tower base maintenance
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 11:41:36 EDT
In a message dated 98-04-07 10:09:09 EDT, dick.green@valley.net writes:

> >    I think Frank, W3LPL, now recommends coating the anchor-in-concrete
>  >hardware with tar or similar material for that very reason.
>

>  My installer mentioned using something called "bolt grout" on the exposed
>  parts of the anchor bolts underneath the base of my crankup tower. I assume
>  this is something like waterproof tile grout. I haven't gotten around to
>  that yet, but coated the bolts with some automotive grease just to get
>  through this winter.

     Professional tower installations typically use a non-shrink grout to seal
the area between the concrete pad and the tower footing(s). I had a heck of a
time finding a good product that I'd used before and wound up using a product
I found at a big hardware store. It was okay and did the job.

     If you have water migration paths like down hollow tower legs, don't
forget to allow for drainage through the grout. We used to use a little hunk
of PVC and it was fine.

Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC