[TowerTalk] screw anchors

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] screw anchors
From: (Bill Aycock)
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 15:06:53 -0500
Steve- I have been looking for some smaller anchors, for a small tubular
tower, and had similar lack of results. The best bet is a mobile home
installer or parts supplier. I found some, larger than I needed, with two,
4" blades, about a foot apart, on  a shaft that was about 3-1/2 feet long.
These were the smallest I could find, and were the smallest allowed by
Alabama state law, for trailers.

Worth a try.

Bill- W4BSG

At 05:03 PM 4/10/98 GMT, you wrote:
>Cuppla questions;
>I live in NW FL.  Sand, clay etc for a place to put guy anchors.  I am
>re-installing my tower used in WV for yrs here in FL.  Does anybody have any
>experience using screw anchors in this area?  Or one like it?  I have the
>anchors from the WV site.  They are 4', abt a 1" shaft dia and the screw
plate is
>just 4.5 to 5 inches dia.  Look kinda puny to me now but worked thru all
>kinds of bad wx in WV.  The tower is 55' home-made (welded) tublar steel, 3
>legs, cross bracing etc in 10' and one 5' section at the base.  It will only
>support a TH5DXX, Ham IV, thrust brng, plates etc.  Tower was guyed at 35'
>top, 35' out from base.  Seeemed to work ok in WV dirt and rocks.  Any ideas
>on wether it will hld ok here in NW FL??  Or should I spring for larger
>anchors?  Which brings up question #2...I have tried locally to purchase new
>screw anchors; no luck.  Any suggestions for a resource?  Mny tnx in advance,
>73, dx, steve k8wk
>FAQ on WWW:
>Administrative requests:

Bill Aycock   W4BSG