[TowerTalk] Protective Coatings for Beams

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Protective Coatings for Beams
From: K2JAS@worldnet.att.net (Roger L. Elowitz)
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 19:17:38 -0400
Hi Jim,

Thanks for all the interesting off-topic info. However I have only two
questions... has the aluminum withstood the onslaught of ocean salt
without
deteriorating substantially.... and was yours coated with Krylon?

Roger, K2JAS

....And a Happy Easter and a Joyous Passover to ALL.

At 07:43 AM 4/11/98 -1000, you wrote:

>Aloha,?
>
>Here on Kauai,? most beams of which I am aware were
>sprayed with Krylon clear coat;? this includes my Mosley
>TA-34-XL which has been up since Dec. 1992 (its the one
>the insurance company paid for after Hurricane Iniki!).
>At the time I was told by many that the Mosley beams
>were the strongest in? standing tropical storm winds,
>and our usual 30 to 40+ mph Spring trades; it certainly
>would not stand up to another Iniki,? however!
>
>Had it down to tighten the feed line connection a couple
>years ago;? all appeared to be fine.? Now I am about 2
>miles in-island from the ocean,? and about 500
>feet higher? (the usual slope of the Pacific shield
>volcano islands which can rise up several thousands
>of feet in 10 miles --? Kauai is about 24 miles across,? and
>the central volcano, Mt. Waialeale,?? rises to about
>5100 feet asl;? the ocean depth just a few miles off
>shore all around Kauai is about 6000 feet deep,? the
>base level of the volcano which formed this island some
>6 million years ago,? so they say --now how is that for
>off topic trivia information,? hi.)
>
>73,? Jim,? KH7M
>

>--
<http://www.contesting.com/towertalkfaq.html>http://www.contesting.com/t