[TowerTalk] Natual "V" Dipole

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Natual "V" Dipole
From: n4kg@juno.com (T A RUSSELL)
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 11:16:16 -0600
On Fri, 10 Apr 1998 23:54:12 -0400 "Dick Green" <dick.green@valley.net>
writes:

>For all intents, then, can't we assume that the inverted V has an
>omnidirectional pattern?

        When the antenna is less than 1/4 wavelength high,
        then YES, it is more or less omni directional at high
        angles, whether it is a dipole or inverted vee....N4KG

>Also, if you compare an inverted V with a dipole that's less than 1/2
>wavelength high, isn't it pretty much a wash? That's what I figured
>when I opted to make my 60' high 80M antenna an inverted V instead
>of a dipole  (easier to raise, easier to match, and no worse than a 60'
high
>dipole on 80M.)

>73, Dick, WC1M

        Below 1/4 wavelength high, near-field ground losses increase.
        For local work, this is probably not even noticable.  Away from
        the east coast, an inverted vee at 90 ft is NOTICABLY better
        for DX than one at 60 ft (on 80 meters)....maybe even in W1.
        ......de  N4KG