[TowerTalk] Re: Without Benefit of Concrete

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Without Benefit of Concrete
From: pelliott@flash.net (N3GPU)
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 18:20:45 -0400
Sizeable towers with no concrete base must be a lot more common than I
thought.  I've gotten several direct responses on this. Since they didn't
go to the reflector I'll only quote anonymous snippets...

**********
Mine has been standing for 20 years and suffered ZERO tower damage when a
small tornado knocked over 30-some trees in my woods...
**********
Guilty...7 towers ranging from 40 to 140 ft with no concrete...
**********
....one here is sitting on a roof mount plate on top of the ground...guyed
with 3 screw anchors...5 element tribander on it...
**********
Seems like a pretty "normal" tower installation around ______ County...have
been involved in dismantling two such setups here!
A supposedly "professional" tower/antenna installer recently took down a
friend's tower and re-installed it at a new QTH.  40'
house-bracketed...re-installed, no cement...now has a 2M vertical,
tri-bander, 440 beam and inverted V on it...pro and his helper put that
mass of antennas on it. Bracket at about 17' with about 21-23' still in the
air...Scary isn't it?

It sure is!  73 - Paul N3GPU