[TowerTalk] Now What?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Now What?
From: rudder1@ibm.net (Malcolm Clark)
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 11:45:18 +0000
K7LXC wrote:

[snip]

> >  I know have questions about my origional Idea.
> >  Being a renter and a Ham I am a bit challenged.
> >   I am planning a tower install sometime this year, and have been doing lots
> >  of reading and asking questions. Up to this point my thought was to just
> >  dig a great big hole and fill it with concrete and hope like hell the
> >  Landlords did not find out how deep it was.
>
>      Pour the concrete so that it is below grade and cover it with dirt when
> you leave. In the worst case, you can rent an electric jackhammer and take out
> all or most of the concrete when you move.

What happened to the LXC prime directive????  The Rohn specs for
concrete bases for bracketed, freestanding, and guyed towers call for at
least four inches of the base to be above grade.  They also require the
top of the base outside the bolt circle (or equivalent for an imbedded
base) to be sloped for drainage.  Any base poured below grade is
effectively going to become the bottom of a catch basin when it rains!
Not the best way to mitigate corrosion.

[snip]

73
Malcolm KR4HP