[TowerTalk] Antennas on a crank-up

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antennas on a crank-up
From: sweisbrod@prodigy.net (Steve Weisbrod)
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 08:58:39 -0500
Hi Mitch
I have a similar set up with a EF320 on the bottom which is not near the
wind load of the magnum combo. My 4BA is 11 feet above the EF320. They are
on a 50ft guyed Glen Martin Eng. Al tower with a Hazer tram system to bring
the antenna system up and down the tower.  I think my weakest link is the
mast and with 6061T6 .250 wall Al I think I'm good to 70mph. I used K7LXC
Steve's mast calculating program. The tower is in a woods with large oak
trees all around so while they offer wind protection one of them might fall
and take the whole mess with it. I chose to go with this set up because of
turning radius and ease of working on it and how it fit my property. I am
very pleased with the performance.  I don't know which crank up you are
considering or where you live but I would guess you will be overloading it
if it is left cranked up.

73 Steve W8GAZ