[TowerTalk] solder jobs up the tower

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] solder jobs up the tower
From: (Matt Kolb)
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 20:31:55 -0600
> My friend unplugs the coax at the antenna, attaches (via a homemade
> SO239-to-AC-outlet-box adapter) a temperature-regulated soldering station
> with a big tip, returns to the shack and attaches the other end of the coax
> to a 110VAC outlet (via a homemade two-prong-plug-to-SO239 adapter), returns
> to the antenna, solders away, turns off the iron, returns to the shack,
> unplugs the coax from the AC, returns to the antenna, disconnects the
> soldering iron, and reattaches the coax. Only three trips up and down the
> tower! This can be reduced to one trip by utilizing a friend in the shack
> and a pair of handy-talkies, but you really have to trust that your friend
> will do exactly what you tell him/her (it could be too tempting for a
> spouse, especially if you carry life insurance ;-)

Wow, can you spell D-E-A-T-H W-I-S-H?  Please, no one try this one at
home.  This has to be the same guy that cuts in ground radials with a
chainsaw and puts no concrete in his 100 ft 45G self supporter. If you
try this one, I suggest you put a big brass urn at the bottom of the
tower so that when you sizzle down to ashes, at least your XYL can
recover whats left of you.

Matt NM9H