[TowerTalk] vert. polarized antenna

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] vert. polarized antenna
From: (
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 23:08:31 EDT

I think the USIA (in other words - VOA) antennas that Tom is referring to
are known as broadband dipole curtain arrays.  Two well known antenna
engineering books have chapters with specific information on these types
of arrays.  They are Antenna Engineering Handbook, 1st Edition, by Henry
Jasik, or the 2nd Edition by Jasik and Richard Johnson; and Radio Antenna
Engineering, 1st Edition, by Edmund Laport.  Both have chapters on
high-frequency antennas which provide design specifications and drawings
or pictures of large broadcast curtain arrays.
One current manufacturer of these arrays is TCI (Technology for
Communications International), Sunnyvale, CA.  They have a web page,
forgot the exact address, but try a web search for TCI.  They made the
antennas described in the Forward to Force 12's book - Array of Light.
I have the spec sheet on a couple of TCI's arrays and they have some very
impressive characteristics.  On the down side, they also require some
large amounts of real estate and tower heights which equals large sums of

Henry Pollock - K4TMC
Raleigh, NC

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998 11:52:40 -0400 "Kenneth D. Grimm"
<> writes:
>I can sorta see this USIA thing in my mind's eye, but would really
>to see and/or hear more about it.  Have you got any print refs?  If
>could you describe it in greater detail?
>Tnx OM es 73,

Get completely free e-mail from Juno at
Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]