[TowerTalk] solder jobs up the tower

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] solder jobs up the tower
From: (Tom Rauch)
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 08:54:58 +0000
To: <>
> Date:          Wed, 15 Apr 1998 21:00:00 -0400
> From:          Dick Green <>

> My friend unplugs the coax at the antenna, attaches (via a homemade
> SO239-to-AC-outlet-box adapter) a temperature-regulated soldering station
> with a big tip, returns to the shack and attaches the other end of the coax
> to a 110VAC outlet (via a homemade two-prong-plug-to-SO239 adapter), returns
> to the antenna, solders away, turns off the iron, returns to the shack,
> unplugs the coax from the AC, returns to the antenna, disconnects the
> soldering iron, and reattaches the coax.

I used to do something similar.

I have two boxes with 48 volt 2 amp transformers with SO-239's and F
connectors on the 48 volt side. I step the line voltage down (and
most importantly isolate it from ground) at the shack, and step it up
on the outdoor box with a pigtail. The 120 VAC secondary is floated,
of course, with NO ground reference.

This works very well if I have to change a small component on a
receive antenna control box over 1000 ft from the house, even if the
Weller solder station heats a tad slow at that distance.

Now I use a little ni-cad battery powered iron, but still have the
backup system.
73, Tom W8JI