[TowerTalk] solder jobs up the tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] solder jobs up the tower
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 10:25:45 EDT
In a message dated 98-04-15 21:20:03 EDT, k4oj@ij.net writes:

> ....this is also very nice to have if you have to use an electric drill up
>  in the air, to drill out a stripped bolt, or somesuch - the battery drills
>  just don't cut it unless you have very deep pockets for the really good
>  ones!

     A very handy tower item. Please use a GFI so that you don't wind up as a
SK.

     An electrician and the National Electrical Code would have apoplexy over
a couple of the solutions offered here. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! They are not
endorsed by me, TowerTalk or anyone else.

     Soldering a coax connector on a tower is a real challenging proposition.
If you can haul a temporary extension cord up there, use a 200-250 watt gun.
Two guys on the tower are real handy. The other guy can help to shield the
wind and use one of those little butane guns to contribute heat to the
connector. If you're by yourself, you may not be able to do it.

     Fred, K1VR, posed this very question about a year ago. Perhaps the info
is in the archives or maybe he'll jump in with his findings.

Cheers,  Steve K7LXC