[TowerTalk] antenna handbooks (technical)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] antenna handbooks (technical)
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 11:01:51
At 05:45 PM 4/16/98 -0700, Pat Barthelow wrote:

>It's hard to imagine that those radio
>engineers of that era actually computed and plotted those antenna patterns
>by hand, with trig tables, log tables, etc......Hurray for folks like
>Beasley, and Lewallen......

Amen to that.  But isn't it remarkable how little new there is in the world
of HF antennas?  I'm just curious if anyone can tell us of a fundamentally
new type of HF antenna since the Yagi (50 or 60 years ago...).

Pat brought back "fond" memories of my days as an undergrad radio
astronomer.  We were listening to Jupiter radiation in the marine guard
band just above 15 meters, with an interferometer about 1500 feet long.  On
one end was a Telrex yagi - 10 elements on a 60-foot boom, if I remember
correctly, mounted on the roof of the science building - while the other
was a Gotham (remember them?) 3-element short-boom yagi.  I think it took
me about a week to plot the pattern of that monster, complete with the skew
caused by the gain difference.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com

"That's WEST Virginia.  Thanks and 73"