[TowerTalk] Oxidized R7-what to do?

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Oxidized R7-what to do?
From: (K7LXC)
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 13:39:57 EDT
In a message dated 98-04-19 13:26:39 EDT, writes:

> >      Vapor wrap is a material (typcially butyl rubber) that keeps the
>  >vapor/moisture out of a connector joint. CoaxSeal is a cheap imitation but
>  can
>  >perform the same function - it you don't apply directly to the connectors,
>  >that is.
>  What about Scotch 88 then scotch coat over that, have not had water or
>  anything else get into that, however it is awful messy.
      Connector manufacturers like Andrew want 2 or 3 layers of tape over the
vapor wrap. Scotch recommends coating the electrical tape with ScotchKote so
you've got your 'belt-and-suspenders' scenario. ScotchKote is really designed
for buried connections and is subject to UV degradation. After several years,
it dries up and blow away so is only 'semi-permanent'. What I've seen
commercial installers use is a clear acrylic spray paint. It's tougher and not
as messy so it may be worth a try. I don't know how resistant it is to UV.

     But if you've done the tape-vapor wrap-tape scenario, you really don't
have much to worry about, believe me. That is of course, the tape being Scotch
33 or 88 and not the '10 for a buck' stuff from your local hardware store.

Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC