[Top] [All Lists]

[TowerTalk] Re: Vapor Wrap

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Vapor Wrap
From: (K7LXC)
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 17:09:20 EDT
In a message dated 98-04-19 15:58:52 EDT, writes:

> I recently was donated a industrial size roll of something, which I need
>  to know if it is the described "Vapor Wrap".  The local power company tech 
>  had bunches of it in his truck.  It came as a roll of black, very sticky
>  stuff, wound around itself, with a coated paper base separator.  It is
>  about 1/16 to 1/8"
>  thick, and about 5 inches wide.  You can cut it to size or width with a
>  knife.  If a free end dangles and touches another part of the roll, forget
>  about trying to separate them...just knead into itself, and move on...It
>  was rubbery, and a 2" wide strip cut off, and wrapped around a connector,
>  would stretch, and taper, so that it became 3/4" wide, and perhaps 5 times
>  as long.....good stuff, but is this "Vapor wrap?"

      I would say yes. I don't know what the difference is in the material
that Del, KL7HF, was describing. The vapor wrap is a butyl rubber material and
has all the above characteristics that you described. I'm sure that you can
use if for additional things like Del was describing. I think it'll work just
fine as a vapor wrap.

     3M has dozens of different products for the power transmission industry
and many of them can be used in communications applications. We're just not as
concerned about the voltage or temperature breakdown specs as they are. Our
challenge is to keep moisture out of connector joints. Many things will work
to do that (even CoaxSeal - shudder!). I'm just recommending the standard ones
used by professionals and knowledgeable amateurs. 

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC

FAQ on WWW:     
Administrative requests:

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>