[TowerTalk] OPINIONS OF TOWER ROHN 45

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] OPINIONS OF TOWER ROHN 45
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 01:33:06 EDT
In a message dated 98-04-19 15:24:01 EDT, wp3a@isla.net writes:

> > I'm writing you because I need help in something I want to do. I want to
>  > mount a tower Rohn 45 of 80 feet with an antenna of 20m KLM of 5
>  > elements and another of 40m KLM of 3 elements .
>  >
>  > I want this two antenna on a Hazer for easy handling . I need to know if
>  > this setup could be done in a Hazer for a Tower Rohn 45.
>  >
>  > If  I can't, what you recommend me ?

     I don't remember seeing any response to this so I'll take a crack at it.

     First of all, I suspect that WP3-land gets significant winds. It's not
listed in my TIA-222 but for purposes of this discussion, let's call it 90 MPH
(cuz I can look that up in my Rohn catalog).

     80 feet of 45G PER THE ROHN SPEC (and not Hazer's!) is rated at 22.5
sq.ft.
The 2 antennas under discussion are 19.3 total windload. At this point, you're
in great shape with nothing to worry about (er...except for the mast anyway).

    The tallest 45G and Hazer combination is 70 feet with two sets of guys.
You can check out the specs at www.glenmartin.com. You have to drop the guys
to get the antennas up and down. You should be very careful doing this. And it
costs $1455.00. Why don't you just give a tower climber $1000.00 and have him
put you on a permanent service contract? The Hazer BTW is rated at 85 MPH.

Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC