[TowerTalk] Re: Penetrox vs WD40/graphite thread

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Penetrox vs WD40/graphite thread
From: TOMK5RC@aol.com (TOMK5RC)
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 13:15:30 EDT
In a message dated 4/24/98 10:06:53 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
gdaught6@leland.Stanford.EDU writes:

<< let's remember what aluminum does when it oxidizes.  bare aluminum in
 moist air will form a grayish, NON-CONDUCTIVE oxide.  if we want two
 pieces of aluminum which are mechanically coupled to be have a good,
 solid, reliable electrical coupling as well, then the interface
 between the two should be kept from oxidizing >>

To add more fodder to the discussion, if you have ever used an aluminum
antenna for a  repeater, you can literally hear the problems of oxidation and
cathodic connections in the repeater receiver. In the salt environment around
Houston, we used to take the antenna down every six months and clean the
oxidation from the joints. Happliy, fiberglass antennas solve that problem.
Use a small amount of the goo. You won't regret it unless you get it on your
good shirt or pants. Then you will be in deep sneakers with the XYL.

Tom, K5RC/7 (now in the high desert with no salt in the air, yay!!!)