[TowerTalk] Tramming/mast pipes (Was about "time/date stamping")

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tramming/mast pipes (Was about "time/date stamping")
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 18:30:48 EDT
In a message dated 98-04-26 17:36:40 EDT, bragassa@hal-pc.org writes:

> 2. Tramming; Yes, only way to fly. I trammed up 2 yagis on each tower. If
>  you tie your tram line on to the mast, "high"; Be cautious you don't bend
>  your mast pipe when stretching it out, with a vehicle. I 'may have' bent my
>  one mast pipe a tad as I had to use a compensating mount underbeath my
>  Create rotor to take out  a 'hang-up' when rotating. Depending upon
>  how-much you are lifting you may want to consider a back-up guy for the
>  tram line.
>
>  I read that some hook their tram line right at the top of the tower to
>  avoid the pull on the mast, and then man-handle the yagi up where you want
> it.

     Both of these manuvers are best accomplished by using a comealong, or
cable puller. (I've never found vehicles suitable for tower or antenna work
although the occasional yard tractor/mower has been handy.) Use a Klein cable
grip on the tram line and pull it with the comealong. The comealong is also
invaluable for dealing with masts or any other heavy loads that you want to
move up or down. You can even use them to pull tower sections together. Home
Depot and other hardware stores have them. A reasonable 1/2-tonner is $30-40.

>  It sure was nice, though to tram up the yagi right where you want to clamp
>  it to the mast.

      Yes, sometimes it does happen!

Cheers and be careful,  Steve  K7LXC