[TowerTalk] Ground rod placement???

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ground rod placement???
From: (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 23:40:31 EDT
Fred Hopengarten  K1VR               781/259-0088
Six Willarch Road
Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
permanent e-mail address:

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998 21:20:47 -0400 "David E. Shelton"
<> writes:

>I am seriously considering placing a ground rod through my basement
>floor, concrete slab.

K1VR:  I did this.  Drilled through the concrete with a reciprocating
drill and concrete bit.  Used three five foot sections of ground rod,
obtained from a local lightning protection place which carries a full
line of ground rods.  Sections are threaded and joined by splices.  If
you are pounding down, you must use sectioned ground rod, as there is no
way to pound in a 10 foot ground rod in a room with an eight foot
ceiling. Sealed hole around ground rod with marine cement, which expands
and sets in the presence of water.  But as your shack is below grade, you
might accomplish the same thing by drilling through a wall at a downward
angle and using a single, straight ground rod.

Get completely free e-mail from Juno at
Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]