[TowerTalk] verticals with lots of radials

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] verticals with lots of radials
From: (Bill Aycock)
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 03:54:20 -0500
Rick- I am contemplating a 50 ft vert for 160 before next winter. I would
be interested in more details- like- how loaded and how fed.  If you could
fill me in, I would be happier with my choice.  Space for ground radials is
not a problem.

Thanks- Bill-W4BSG

(BTW the QRZ database has you at 0 degS, 0 deg W- just what grid square is
that?- HI)

At 05:04 AM 4/29/98 -0000, you wrote: (*** in part ***)
>Here is another anecdotal data point:
>>From California, I was never able to work JA on 80 meters using
>either a full size dipole at 55 feet or a full size vertical with
>2 elevated quarter wave radials, and this was running 700 watts.
>They simply couldn't hear me, even if no one else was calling.
>A couple of weeks ago I tried a 50 foot vertical with 60 quarter
>wave radials laying on the ground (28 gauge magnet wire) and worked
>two JA's on 80 easily the first day using 10 (yes TEN) watts.
>Not totally scientific but it tends to convince me that W8JI
>is on to something.
>Rick Karlquist N6RK
>FAQ on WWW:
>Administrative requests: