[TowerTalk] C-3 & TH7 comparison - a revision

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] C-3 & TH7 comparison - a revision
From: (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 10:42:58 -0400
At 11:36 PM 4/28/98 EDT, K7LXC wrote:
>Greetings, TowerTalkians --
>       Recently I posted the following information:
>>>I am curious as to how well this antenna C3 or C4
>>  compare to the TH7?
>TH7 typical gain  (** is really TH11 **)
>20M  2.5 dBd
>15M  2.5
>10M  3.0
>C-3 typical gain
>20M  3 dBd
>15M  4
>10M  3 >>
>      The TH7 data was in error. It is really the TH11 information. Sorry.
>Here's the REAL TH7 info:
>20M  3 dBd
>15M  5-6 dBd on bottom end of band to 1 dB at top end of band (similar to
>10M  2-3 dBd

Now let's see if I understand this -- we haul 75 pounds of aluminum up to
the top of your tower, for 3-4 dB gain over a dipole at the same height.
Or you stack two of the things, with rotors and other complexities, for
another 2 db.  6 dB = 1 S Unit.  Are hams crazy or what?

Actually, what it really demonstrates is how important a dB or 2 can be,
and that the cheapest, quickest way to a better signal is to go QRO (no
flames please!)

73,  Pete Smith N4ZR
In wild, wonderful, fairly rare WEST Virginia