[TowerTalk] C-3 & TH7 comparison - a revision

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] C-3 & TH7 comparison - a revision
From: (george fremin iii)
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 12:24:52 -0500 (CDT)
>Pete Smith wrote:
><some stuff snipped>
>> Now let's see if I understand this -- we haul 75 pounds of aluminum up to
>> the top of your tower, for 3-4 dB gain over a dipole at the same height.
>> Or you stack two of the things, with rotors and other complexities, for
>> another 2 db.  6 dB = 1 S Unit.  Are hams crazy or what?

No, hams are not crazy. Stacking antennas at HF is really done
not to get the 2 or so db of stacking gain it is to get
a better take off angle pattern - it is this change in pattern
that accounts for the 10 db changes in signals when switching
between the stacked antennas.

I keep telling folks that it is height above the ground that
makes the most diffrecne not the size of the antenna.

George Fremin III          "I'm talkin' 'bout that outlaw X
Austin, Texas                It's cuttin' through the air.... "
K5TR (ex.WB5VZL)
512/416-7010                          -- "Heard it on the X"                               -- ZZ Top