[TowerTalk] Antenna Paint & stripes

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna Paint & stripes
From: kalepa@maui.net (Jonathan Starr)
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 12:44:26 -1000
I have seen a number of queries lately about antenna paint.

Its windy & salty here, and we used to use Mosely
Weatherguard. I now use a much better product. It is
available from Industrial & Automotive PPG outlets. It is:

PPG Duracryl Acrylic Laquer
DCA 468 High Performance Clear

It has a special thinner if you want to spray it, but it
brushes on nicely straight from the can. After two or three
coats, the antenna looks and feels like its been dipped in
clear plastic, and it lasts a long time.

Whenever I put together a beam for the first time, each
element half gets numbered using stripes of electrical tape,
one stripe being el 1 etc. This gets sealed on with the
clear coat.

The stripes are visible from the ground, and eliminates
confusion during assembly and later on when the antenna gets
taken apart for storage or several elements get blown off
the boom at once and wind up in the bull pasture next door
(yes, fond memories of our pre-F12, KLM days).

Aloha,

Jonathan KH6X
kalepa@maui.net