[TowerTalk] Replies to noise problems Safety issue!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Replies to noise problems Safety issue!
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 11:14:08 +0000
Dave wrote:

> 1.  Put a ground at the AC entrance to the house with 8' ground rod to AC
> common.
>
> 2.  Measure the resistance between AC common and my so called ground and the
> hot water pipe (they are side by side 15' away from the radio table).
> I am betting there is some resistance rather than short.

Never  do anything like the above, unless you are sure the electrical
system DOES NOT have an open or poor neutral connection! It's almost
like striking a match to look for a suspected gas leak!

If the system does have a neutral problem, either the meter or guy
holding both wires could or would  quickly become history.

Besides the personal and equipment safety issue, the resistance
indicates absolutely nothing useful. Even if  everything in the
power system is OK, the meter likely won't even read correctly
because AC and external DC (from ground rod voltage differences)
will be superimposed across the meter.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com