[TowerTalk] more precip noise

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] more precip noise
From: jreisert@jlc.net (Joe Reisert)
Date: Sat, 2 May 1998 13:13:54 -0400 (EDT)
Todd,

Yes, that is a good idea but it's not new. In fact, it is used extensively
in commercial circles and every major commercial producer of Lightning
Arrestors now offers them, even PolyPhaser that used to poo-poo them.

The only real drawback to this technique is that it is essentially narrow
band so you would need a separate arrestor for each band. That is practical
for the VHF and UHF bands (where monoband antennas are the rule) and even
for some dualband VHF/UHF omnis (like 146 and 440 MHz where the quarter
wave short on 2 meters is 3/4 waves at 440) but not too practical for the
triband HF beams etc.

>I am currently working on a problem with precip static on lowband police
radio antennas (39 Mhz) for State of SD.  It was suggested to me by an
engineer who is now retired that he used a 1/4 wavelength shorted stub,
grounded to the tower leg to eliminate precip static. Place a Tee at the
antenna, with feedline coming into one side and 1/4 wave stub out the
other, with far end of stub connected to tower leg.  It also worked down at
the equipment end.  Certainly worth looking into, and I am going to give
that a try and see how it works!  Will let you know.

73,

Joe, W1JR