[TowerTalk] Simple EHS & Insulator Questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Simple EHS & Insulator Questions
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 11:32:06 EDT
In a message dated 98-05-05 09:30:59 EDT, lburke@wt.net writes:

<< (1) After looking at the situation, I assume that thimbles are not needed
 for 502-type insulators when big grip preforms are used... correct? It
 appears that any use of thimbles would requre them to be severely deformed
 in that application.... the insulator seems to serve this function just fine
 near as I can tell.

      Correcto mundo - no thimble needed when using an insulator. But be sure
to use the SECOND crossover paint mark when installing a Preformed grip
through an insulator. There are two paint marks - the first is for normal
cable and the second (farthest from the termination loop) is for insulators.
If you use the first mark on insulators, the grip has too acute an angle and
puts more strain on it.

 >(2) Any innovative ways to cut EHS out there (short of using bolt cutters,
 which I don't have but guess I could always buy, beg, or borrow)?   >>

      My preferred method is to use a hand grinder. Tape the place where you
want to make the cut and it'll zing through it in less than 10 seconds. The
tape keeps the strands from unravelling after its cut. If you don't have a
hand grinder, you can use a steel cutting aggregate blade in your skill saw.
They only run four or five bucks. BE REAL CAREFUL - use eye protection when
doing this because you'll be throwing sparks all over the place.

Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC