[TowerTalk] Dealing with Lightning

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Dealing with Lightning
From: kd4wiw@ipass.net (Stephen Vinson)
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 23:46:39 -0700
M.G. Brafford wrote:

>After suffering seven lightning strikes in the last two years, I'm >starting
>to think the "ole ground rod per tower leg" just isn't cutting >it anymore.

> 73, Mick  W4YV

Mick ... I read your post with interest.  I have a 145' tower with 12'
mast and 12' antenna mounted above it.  I have installed PolyPhasers on
all feed lines and installed a PolyPhaser strike counter.  I even
extended the leads longer than recommended which should allow me to
measure near strikes.  To date (after several severe storms) I have no
recordings on the counter.

I noticed that you have done the normal grounding setup by most amateurs
but (and I might have missed it) I did not hear you say you had bonded
all tower sections together.  That might be why your Indonesian friends
tower has not suffered a strike.  Try bonding the tower sections to
gether at the joints.  Use stainless bands and straps and use a
electrical antioxidant to treat the connections.

What is probably happening is that the joints have oxidized and thus the
tower is building a charge (capacitor effect) that is not bleed off by
the ground strap well ... until the charge builds to such a level or the
tower is struck due to the charge it holds.  Grounding lowers the
potential due to static charge build up, but only if a low resistant
path is present to bleed off the charge.

I don't profess to know alot about grounding.  I my self am learning but
one of our local repeaters will get very noisy (electrically) when the
joints oxidize in the joints.  Bonding the sections reduces this build
up.

I hope someone will add more to this or help in any way that I might
have miss lead you.  Hope this helps !!!!

Steve
KD4WIW
E-mail:   kd4wiw@ipass.net
Home Page:  http://www.ipass.net/~kd4wiw