[TowerTalk] Two VHF Yagis more than 1 wavelength apart

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Two VHF Yagis more than 1 wavelength apart
From: tleaf@hotmail.com (Ted Leaf)
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 03:22:42 PDT
Hi guys,

I have a fixed 10 element VHF Yagi pointing at Ohau, which is 160 miles
across open ocean. I can usually hit the repeaters there, but many times
the propagation changes in seconds, as indicated by my S meter which
wavers.

I now have a tower with a rotor and would like to put a second identical
Yagi above the HF beam. My intention is to have a VHF beam that is
rotatable, as well as, to get some extra power and phase separation when
they are pointing in the same direction.

Here is the situation:  The beams will be about 20 feet apart in
distance and 10 feet in height. The coax lengths will be different and
each has a different velocity factor.

Cushcraft has said to use their stacking harness at the rig end of the
coax and my system should work fine.  I question this arrangement.

Your comments please.

73, Aloha
Ted Leaf, K6HI
Kona, Hawaii