[TowerTalk] When Hams need guns

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] When Hams need guns
From: no6x@inreach.com (Mike)
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 07:00:23 +0000
I am sorry for the bandwidth but this was forwarded to me, and inlight of
the recent firearm thread I thought it to be in good humor. author is unknown
73
Mike...NO6X

I have had three occasions to use a firearm in connection with amateur radio
activities.

The first instance was at my parent's farm, where a pine tree had grown to
where it's top was brushing the tower's guy wires and eventually would cause
problems. For this application, a .22 rifle with a full clip or two of ammo
served well to top that pesky pine tree. - I just kept shooting at the
trunk, about four feet down from the top. The wind did the rest.

The second time was during a get-together of the local hams in south Texas.
We were having a BBQ for all of those guys, and things looked pretty grim
because my grill was not ventilated properly and would not get hot enough to
cook the fajitas.
Taking the food off of the grill, a half-dozen rounds from my .45 auto
provided the needed ventilation, saving the day. After that, the grill
behaved perfectly.

The third occasion was when I needed a small hole drilled through 1/4" steel
for a project. Since I had loaned out my drill motor, I thought I was out of
luck until I remembered my .300 Winchester magnum rifle. Sure enough, a 180
grain pill moving at close to 3000 fps drills right through 1/4 inch steel.
It made a nice clean hole which was just right for the job.

The .22 long rifle, the venerable .45 auto, the powerful .300 Win magnum -
These are all tools which, when used properly, can greatly enhance the
amateur radio experience. The key to the use of these is safe, responsible
handling. It important to always use the right tool for the job, so my
advice is that each ham keep a variety of firearms on hand at all times.