[TowerTalk] Re: Lightning ground "Holy Wars"

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Lightning ground "Holy Wars"
From: DAVED@ctilidar.com (Dave D'Epagnier)
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 14:00:11 -0600
> > Flat copper conductors present a lower inductance path than round
> ones!
>
> Can you give me a reference for that? I've been looking for years,
> and find no data on conductor shape vs inductance.

        I can Tom. Its a pretty well known fact in the industry that
ribbon conductors have lower inductance than round wires of the same
cross sectional area. In fact, the inductance of a ribbon of a given
width is roughly equivalent to the inductance of a round wire with
diameter equal to that width. In other words a 1" wide ribbon conductor
would have about the same inductance as a 1" diameter wire!

        The equations are:

        L=200*len*(ln(4*len/d)-0.75)   for round wire

        and

        L=200*len*(ln(2*len/(a+b)+0.5)  for ribbon
        where:

        L = inductance
        len = length of wire
        d = diameter of wire
        a = width of ribbon
        b = thickness of ribbon

        The reference can be derived from data in Magraw Hill
Electronics Engineers' Handbook.

        regards,

        Dave