[TowerTalk] Phillystran and Lightning

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Phillystran and Lightning
From: k9ofg@juno.com (RICHARD L OWENS)
Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 13:39:40 -0500
Some time ago, I talked with an old friend in the electric power
business.  He told me that they have been abandoning microwave, formerly
used in the control and monitoring of their HV transmission lines, in
favor of fiber optics.  The fiber is strung in the aerial ground line, at
the top of all towers.  I was surprised, and asked about lightning
strikes.  He told me that aside from the cases where the strike severs
the line itself, they never see any disruption in their communications.
I know this is not directly related to the original question, but it may
give some insight into how non-metallic lines react to lightning.
73, Richard Owens, K9OFG