[TowerTalk] Anti ham antenna ordinance proposed

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Anti ham antenna ordinance proposed
From: tao@skypoint.com (Tod Olson)
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 11:52:11 -0500
As Tip O'Neil once said, "All politics are local".

I must advise you that the response to your statement and
question,

". I hope the league has the resources to make sure this proposed
ordinance change doesn't happen. I'm not a resident of Plano but
this could have a domino affect. What can an individual ham do to
help in a situation like this?"

must be that the ARRL has no standing on local matters such as
this and would not be permitted to participate except perhaps to
"testify" on behalf of amateur radio. As a former mayor I would
advise you that "out of towners" were not given the same weight
as citizens or in-town businesses when we were considering the
adoption of an ordinance. The involvement of persons living in
the state and the community is much more valuable and critical
than the presence of a national organization in zoning matters.
The ARRL does have information which it makes available to all
amateurs, even those who are free loaders and not members of ARRL
like the rest of us. An attack on any amateur is an attack on us
all.

I have sent a copy of this thread to Jim Haynie, W5JBP, who is
the ARRL West Gulf Division Director. (That includes the state of
Texas). My guess is that Jim is already away of this and may have
already helped prepare a response by local amateurs.

Tod Olson, K0TO

Here's the latest anti ham news from Plano, Texas, a suburb of
Dallas. I hope the league has the resources to make sure this
proposed
ordinance change doesn't happen. I'm not a resident of Plano but
this could have a domino affect. What can an individual ham do to
help in a situation like this?

http://www.dallasnews.com/metro-plano-nf/plano3.htm
and
http://www.dallasnews.com/metro-plano-nf/plano35.htm