[TowerTalk] Best second station/multiband vertical?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Best second station/multiband vertical?
From: w7why@mail.coos.or.us (Tom Osborne)
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 03:28:28 -0700
> Barry Kutner wrote:
>
> I am thinking about adding a second radio/station here. My
> single tower presently consists of 76 ft of Rohn 45 with a pair of
> TH7s, a 40-2CD and wires on 80/160.  I do NOT want to put up a
> second tower, so looking at a multiband vertical. (Any other ideas?
> Remember. I want to keep it simple.)
>
> I reviewed the archives of Towertalk this weekend, and see the
> subject of best vertical has been raised before. It seems that most
> peferred the Cushcraft R-7 or R-7000. Is this still the case?
>
> The R7000 is advertised as no radials needed. Would using radials
> improve performance? What is the recommended height for the vertical?
> Any comments appreciated.
> Tnx/Barry

Hi Barry. I've talked to some guys using the Butternut, and they all
seem to like them.  The whole antenna is used on each band instead of
cutting pieces of your antenna off as the freq. goes up. That seems like
a waste of aluminum to me :-). I've been thinking strongly about one
here for the second radio.  73
Tom W7WHY