There have been some interesting theories proposed lately, such as
leaving your tower and antennas ungrounded so as not to attract
lightning. Here's a better one, follow my logic...
The W2UP thereom of lightning protection:
1. Like charges repel each other.
2. Lightning is a negative charge (or is it a positive charge?)
3. Take a D cell (yes, it MUST be a D cell. Those AA cells will
never take the charge) out of your flashlight. Attach it
across your coax.
4. Since like charges repel, by polarizing your antenna with a like
charge, you have now repelled the lightning. No need for spiny balls
or anything like that.
5. This is even more effective if you wrapped your concrete base in
Saran Wrap to further insulate it from ground.
P.S. Good luck - you will need it as much as if you leave your
tower ungrounded, and the charge has to find its own path to
Barry Kutner, W2UP Internet: firstname.lastname@example.org
Newtown, PA FRC alternate: email@example.com
FAQ on WWW: http://www.contesting.com/towertalkfaq.html
Administrative requests: towertalk-REQUEST@contesting.com