[TowerTalk] Comments on Lighting from a non-expert

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Comments on Lighting from a non-expert
From: arth@cushcraft.com (arth@cushcraft.com)
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 98 10:55:40
     Lightning - Watch Out!!

     I have been reading with some interest the comments about lightning
     and lightning strikes.

     Nothing you can buy or build will protect your equipment if you
     experience a DIRECT lightning strike and the current flows to your
     gear.

     Lightning is simply an electrical spark between two charges. With
     towers, the "strike" can even originate at the tower (floating or
     grounded) and flow up to the clouds.

     In many cases, a lightning strike at ground can have a peak current of
     over 35,000 amps (for a few microseconds).  Imagine the size of ground
     wire required to handle this much current without melting.

     The main purpose of grounding your tower or equipment is to protect it
     from nearby strikes.  With a nearby strike, the surrounding electric
     field (up to a mile away) can be so intense that it will blow out many
     electrical devices. With proper grounding, the fields from nearby
     strikes can be directed away from your equipment to ground.

     Floating versus grounding?  Airplanes are a prime example of a
     floating meatllic object and they still get hit.  If you have never
     been hit, your just lucky!!

     Good Luck

     Steve Best
     Cushcraft Corp.