[TowerTalk] Galvi steel below ground

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Galvi steel below ground
From: (David Fouchey)
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 15:27:01 -0400
At 02:32 PM 6/4/98 -0400, Pete Smith wrote:
>Good info - thanks!
>For whatever it's worth, Anchor-guard acknowledges that bitumen coating
>will help to control galvanic corrosion of guy anchors, if it's truly 100
>percent coverage.  The trouble is that it can be hard to maintain that
>integrity over time, and they warn that corrosion may be intensified at the
>leak points.
>Since someone posted the information about possible galvanic corrosion
>between copper guy-wire ground rods and the galvanized guy anchors, I've
>replaced all of my copper-plated guy grounds with galvanized rods.  In the
>process, I discovered that you can buy galvanized clamps to attach wires to
>the galvanized ground rods, and since I was already using EHS to get from
>the guys to the ground rod, I feel that this combination gives me a much
>better galvanic situation.
>73,  Pete Smith N4ZR
>In wild, wonderful, fairly rare WEST Virginia

Pete I went ahead and used coper plated ground rods connected back with
heavily tinned 1' copper braid. Used Galvinized 6' Long x 1'dia.(screw),
Screw anchors for the guys, same type the utility companies use for guying
power/telephone poles. Have never had problems with them holding even in
sand.  In the case of the poles they were themselves set with the 2' +10%
of the length of the pole rule for greatest stability ( sand I
tend to go a foot or so deeper.) Have only had problems in swampy areas
where on occasions the problem wasn't lateral stability but keeping the
bloody things from sinking like a nail! Coating the anchors with
Bituminious tar is a good idea but in most instances it was not used, the
galvinizing on the anchors being VERY thick.

Good luck..